Monday, August 06, 2007

A Special Way to Look at Ads

This is something that I ran across at Slate, and I ended up using it in a class where I was supposed to show ads to the kids. They were supposed to mimic them and produce their own. Well, I love ads, and buying stuff is alright by me, even though I hardly do any of it, but this seemed like pimping myself out on a larger scale than I am comfortable with. So, I ran these 12 types of ads off to the kids, they took notes, and we had a jam session with it. It turned out really well. By the end of the class, they were categorizing the different ads and thinking about them in a more analytical way. They were shocked and awed by the different strategies. This gave my ad-based class a much more critical edge, and I am glad I did it. You should take a look at it, too.

No comments: